Level the Playing Field: Wong Fu


I totally agree with their method: if you don't find media content that you can relate to, then make your own. But I got to be honest: I've never liked their videos and their underlying messages. Their video "Yellow Fever" definitely touched a nerve in the Asian American community, but it was too self-deprecating for my tastes. It showed Asian dudes as pathetic whiney losers. You got to give people hope (I saw the movie "Milk" not too long ago BTW). And that video didn't do it. If there are a million Asian American kids who are fans of that and are lacking in self-confidence, then our community has got a long way to go to get any respect.

Comments

Degenerasian said…
I never liked the "Yellow Fever" video either but for different reasons. It portrayed Asian girls as automatically fawning over any non-Asian guy which I don't think is true.
J said…
Yeah good point. That was another thing I didn't like about that video. It made Asian girls look like me-so-horny drones for white guys. They were trying to pull it off as satire, because that obviously was an exaggeration meant for comedic effect. But their execution was so poor, it didn't come off as funny.

Popular posts from this blog

Muscle Building Diet for the Asian Male

Interview with Rick Lee

Strength Training for the Asian Lifter, Part II