Asians and Introversion



I remember back in middle school and high school, whenever I had approach anxiety with girls, my friends (especially the girls) would always give me the same advice: Be yourself.

I don't know about you guys, but when you're a thirteen year old kid, probably one of the last things you know about is to be yourself.

In my junior year of high school one of my final projects was to figure out a "career" for yourself. One of the requirements in that final was to take the MBTI test. I thought that this was such a great description of myself and as a really depressed Asian kid, I took to this like white on rice. I hear this is how cults recruit new members.

I joined a now defunct forum for my specific personality type. I had a great time talking to like-minded people online and even met one of them in real life that I'm still friends with to this day. During that time, I honestly thought I was "figuring myself out". But after the the initial giddiness, I was starting to pick up on the forum's negativity. There were a lot of threads proclaiming

"NO ONE UNDERSTANDS ME BUT YOU GUYS" and

"I CAN'T DO X BECAUSE MY BRAIN IS HARDWIRED TO DO Y"

There were also a lot of threads with  losers timid guys desperately trying to get a China doll, because they thought she would understand "their need for being alone". If you Google "famous INFP's" you will see that Amy Tan falls under that category, just another reason why I no longer associate with the MBTI.

Despite all of its flaws, I think the test is a great way to gauge your current mindset. The test gives you a percentage of where you are at with each function. The problem is that the test labels you with the dominant function. No one function is better than the other, although there are plenty of personality Nazi's out there that will differ. And because we are given a label, people will naturally stick to it and build themselves a mental cage.





3 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muscle Building Diet for the Asian Male