Reader Mail: The Future of the Alpha Asian

Q: My name is Ray and I'm a big fan of your Alpha Asian blog and book.

I was checking out your Strength and Physique book on Amazon and thought it looked pretty intense (especially with the super-muscled guy on the cover who appears to have muscles on muscles). Do you think it's appropriate for average guys who just want to look get into good-- but not super jacked-- shape?

The term "bodybuilding" actually really turns me off, because I'm not looking to get big. I think the words "lean", "toned" or "fit" are what I'm shooting for.

Look forward to hearing your advice and seeing what's new on your blogs in the future.

-Ray


My Answer: I'm glad you enjoy my blog and book, Ray.  I really appreciate the praise.  As far as whether or not the Strength and Physique book is for you, don't let the bodybuilding image on the front discourage you.   The book features a wide variety of exercises for you to choose from to develop whatever physique you want, whether it's a lean toned body or a massively muscled one.  So yes, the book is for the average guy who wants to look good and in shape.

Most people are like you: they have a negative connotation with the term bodybuilding.  We usually think of bodybuilders as having bloated cartoonish muscles.  Such physiques come off as artificial and obviously unnatural.  This is a big turn-off to both men and women.

Modern bodybuilders focus on muscular size, but too much size will actually destroy the look of a physique.  Classical bodybuilders focus on a balanced V-taper physique as opposed to mass and bulk.   Wide shoulders with a narrow waist was prized more in the olden days of bodybuilding,  While hip to waist ratio is an indicator of health and measure of attractiveness among women, shoulder to waist ratio is a measure of attractiveness in men. 

The exercises in Strength and Physique focus on developing the V-taper.  It is the classical bodybuilding approach to building lean muscle tone.






I took a break from the Alpha Asian blog to focus on finishing up the Strength and Physique book. Now that the book is finished, I'll be posting from time to time on the Alpha Asian blog.  As far as the direction of this blog, I'm going to focus more on exercise, diet, fitness, health and general athleticism for the Asian male.

I will post about other topics relating to Asian American men and Asian Americans in general.  But I will primarily write about Asian muscle.  Many of my old posts will be retired, but will be available in an upcoming E-book.  I'll keep you guys posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muscle Building Diet for the Asian Male

Interview with Rick Lee

Strength Training for the Asian Lifter, Part II