Develop an Asian American Consciousness and Be Damn Good at Something



During my time in grad school, I presented at a couple of academic conferences on Asian American Studies: one in Hawaii and the other in D.C. My presentation was Racism and Advertising in 19th America in 1996. I had a slide show of all the negative imagery of Chinese Americans at the time. Very esoteric and very pedantic stuff. The Model Minority website snagged my 1996 article and posted it several years later.

Analyzing and cataloging all of those negative stereotypes just burned me out at the time. I didn't feel like I was developing any skills to better the Asian community. My thesis adviser told me something very profound but pragmatic at the same time. She told me, "You want to help the Asian American community? Then get a regular job. Develop some skills and expertise that address the needs of the Asian American community."

Years later I met a great guy who used to be an Asian American Studies instructor. He got his master's from the UCLA Asian American Studies Program, and afterward he taught Asian American Studies at various local colleges in the L.A. area. He quit, because:


  1. Unless he got his PhD, he would remain an instructor working part-time, as opposed to a full-time professor.
  2. Scurrying around different colleges to teach Asian American Studies course was taking a toll on him, and he wasn't earning a decent living.


Now he's a police detective, helping the general public.

When it comes down to it, if you want to help Asian Americans, then develop that Asian American consciousness but also be a valuable asset to the community. A desire to help the Asian American community is great, but you have to offer something substantial that the community can benefit from. Know what your talents are and exercise them to better the lives of Asian Americans and people in general.

Comments

J said…
I know one of my colleagues was going to be a public school teacher, another continued his "professional student" career in music and the only Asian female in our class works at a Japantown community organization. At least that's what I heard. So of all my classmates who had the Asian American Studies emphasis, only one works specifically with the AA community.
Anonymous said…
As Asian, we have a long history of inner development and strength. Knowing oneself is the key. The media brainwashings and negative portrayals of us is child play. That only show a society in fear of the thing it's trying to put down. We are loosing our focus and starting to believe and buying in to those brainwashing messages from the media. Open our eyes and wake up; know, we are (extremely) smart, creative, beautiful and very worthy of our place here. Ignore the child and hope that he will grow and be just as wise one day, hopefully.

Popular posts from this blog

Muscle Building Diet for the Asian Male

Interview with Rick Lee

Strength Training for the Asian Lifter, Part II