10 things I've learned from working in retail



1. Retail sucks so hard it swallows. Fuck retail.
3. People are assholes. No matter what race, there will always be some sort of bastard that will ruin your day and sometimes it feels like every customer is a dick customer. (Even though in the bottom of your heart you know it's not true.) As Dr. Cox would say "People are just bastard covered bastards with bastard filling."
4, People are stupid. See #3
5. Learn to speak and to explain things clearly: Because eventually you'll put up with a stupid person. Or an asshole.
6. You can't please everyone. Some people are never going to be happy with anything you do for them. Ever. Learn to forget about them and move on.
7. There is at least ONE super nice customer. Make small talk with some customers that are *genuinely* nice to you. Sometimes after putting up with an asshole customer you'll recognize one of them and seeing them smile back at you will help you forget about that one guy that you thought ruined your day.
8. Try to be a good person. If you've worked in retail you know that it's a lot of bullshit to deal with for not that much pay. Why would you want to become one of those customers that you hate so much?
9. Learn to give a genuine smile. People will smile back, especially after putting up with dick customers.
10. Remember that once you leave and those doors close, 99% of shit that happens at work stays at work. It's okay to vent things out once in a while, but try not to vent all the time, or else people will start thinking that you've become bitter and jaded.

Just another day in the pharmacy....(the drugs mentioned are Vicodin and Soma).

Comments

Tommy said…
Hey Byron. Nice to know you still read this blog haha.
MojoRider said…
Yep, #3 and 4 are basically what retail is about. People are maggots.

I always treat bartenders and wait staff well. If they take care of me, I'll take care of them with generous tips. I'll always get served before the asshole who snaps his fingers or yells out to the staff for service.
Tommy said…
Byron: Does this mean I have to try writing harder?

Mojo: Yeah...as long as people stay courteous to me I stay courteous to other people as well, which is why I linked "how to smile with your eyes". People lie, berate, and make up sob stories and other excuses to push me around to get their meds and I've floated around from poor to rich areas and the only real difference in my opinion is the way people smell. Putting up with people sucks, but a genuine smile after a long days work will always help lift someone's spirits.
Anonymous said…
I'm currently in retail, and I agree with everything on this list!
For me, I always treat people with a default "smile and kindness". Usually you can gauge within a minute whether they are assholes, neutral people, or the people who will brighten your day. Has never failed me.

Popular posts from this blog

Muscle Building Diet for the Asian Male

Interview with Rick Lee

Strength Training for the Asian Lifter, Part II