Milestone for Richard Park

Been caught up so much with the Jeremy Lin story, that I forgot to give some praise to my man Richard Park who hit a milestone. Being a role player in the NHL, he's not expected to score much, but he did score his 100th goal last month.



There are other Asian Americans who are in the NHL ranks. I don't follow the entire league, just mostly the eastern conference for which my Washington Capitals play. But the names that pop up make me take notice and I think, "Wow, that's pretty cool...". Here's a short list of Asians that I'm aware of that are currently playing in the NHL.I have no idea how many more may be lurking in the juniors or AHL teams.

Devin Setoguchi - half Japanese; plays for the Minnesota Wild

Manny Malhotra - Indian-French Canadian' plays for Vancouver Canucks (he's been in the NHL for quite awhile and I never knew he was part Asian until I read something on him)

Jon Matsumoto- half Japanese; plays for the Carolina Hurricanes

Raymond Sawada - half Japanese; plays for the Dallas North Stars

Brandon Yip - half Chinese; plays for the Colorado Avalanche

Recently, I saw the movie "Goon" starring Jay Baruchel and Seann William Scott (yeah, Stifler)in an early preview. It's not set for release in theaters until later this month, but it's about a loveable hockey goon who gets on to a minor league team and one of the players on his team is an Asian player. I wonder if they had Richard Park in mind when they wrote the screenplay? The minor background character, Park Kim, is played by someone named Larry Woo. I know nothing about Larry, but it's cool that Jay Baruchel, one of the screenwriters, wrote in the part of an Asian hockey player on this team.

Larry Woo may be a former hockey player himself and got a gig as an extra:



According to hockeydb.com, he played in the WHL for the Victoria Cougars back in the late 1980's and was an assistant coach for the St. Boniface Saints int he MJHL (Manitoba Junior Hockey League) in 2000-2001 season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muscle Building Diet for the Asian Male

Interview with Rick Lee

Strength Training for the Asian Lifter, Part II