Dirty Hands: The Art and Crimes of David Choe

Comments

Tommy said…
After I bought the documentary I bought his book (and a couple t-shirts). I have to admit there's only about half of the pictures that I like, and a few of them in particular made me want to throw up the first time I saw them, but Dave is crazy talented. Even though he can draw some fucked up demented pictures, he makes some of the most beautiful murals I've ever seen. God I wish I was that good...
J said…
Crazy talented, but yeah there are some very F-d up pics. Somehow we let crazy people get away with sh!t
Tommy said…
The pictures in the documentary are tame compared to the ones in his book.

One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess? If you watch his interview with Howard Stern he actually admits that one of the reasons he got attention was because he put some extra 0's at the end of his paintings and then rich people started to buy them, it's not like he actually changed his style or anything.
MojoRider said…
I had mixed feelings as I was watching this but was glad to see that the doc showed a transformation of Choe towards the end. In the beginning, I was starting to get turned off to the dumb frat boy stuff and misogynistic attitude.

He's definitely Alpha, he's doing his own thing and forging his own path. But the thing with young artists is that they sometimes don't have enough experience to know anything about life. So the impulse to be idealistic, to be full of snide and attitude, and say "fuck you" to rules or convention and to whatever gets in your way is a double edged sword.

The artist needs to have the freedom to do their thing, but yet, in the end, there still is the need to exist within conventional world. It's the conventional world that is going to help feed the artist. There will always be that duality, the symbiotic relationship.

Popular posts from this blog

Muscle Building Diet for the Asian Male

Interview with Rick Lee

Strength Training for the Asian Lifter, Part II